Saturday 13 October 2012

Green Kumara and Cashew Patties



I've been looking for healthy plant based snacks lately to help bring my body back to an alkaline state so it can heal itself. This recipe was inspired by a dip that I liked the look of the ingredients. You can add it to a salad or simply have it on its own as a quick nutritious snack on the go.


Ingredients:
  • 4 medium kumara (sweet potato)
  • 1 cup green lentils (you could use other varieties of lentils - I just liked the green colour it made them go :p)
  • 1/2 cup of olive oil - add more of less to get the right texture
  • 1/2 cup of cashews
  • 2 cloves of garlic roughly diced (you may like to start with one, I just love garlic)
  • 2 tsp himalayan salt
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 TBS flour - I used coconut as its gluten free
  1. Peel and roast the kumara until soft
  2. Boil the lentils until soft
  3. Add the kumara, lentils and oil to the blender and blend into a mash. (alternatively you can just mash and mix it together by hand)
  4. Add the cashews, garlic, oregano and cumin to the kumara/lentil mixture and combined
  5. Add the flour until you get a nice texture that holds the mixture together well
  6. Make the patties about the size of rissoles
  7. Cook the patties in coconut oil until golden. Flip and brown the other side (I use coconut oil as its one of the only oils that is not destroyed under heat)
This should make about 20 rissole sized patties. I freeze them in lots of two so I can pop them in the fridge at night and then I have an easy snack the next day. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment