Sunday 30 September 2012

Granola - Easy energy snack for a new mum!



For the first few weeks of being a mum I forgot to eat. Dont get me wrong it wasnt that I didnt want to eat, anyone who knows me knows I love eating! Its just that everything else comes first and mum comes last. If you are a mum then you will probably know that this cannot last long. Something fails. You cannot afford to have mum fail. So here is my lifesaver for the last few weeks. Granola, a healthy treat that you can just eat on the run.


Ingredients

3 cups of coconut flakes
1 cup of almonds
1/2 cup pepitas
1/2 cup of walnuts
1/2 cup of cashews
1/2 cup brazil nuts
1/2 cup flaxseed

1/4 cup chia
5 TBS of coconut oil melted
3 TBS sweetener - this is optional. I start with some but now don't have any. My favourite was maple syrup or raw honey. You could also had some dried fruit to the end product however dried fruit tends to be dense in sugar as the water content is lower.
  • I activate my nuts first by soaking them over night and dehydrating them ( I don't tend to soak Chia or flaxseed as they form a gel and stick together,
  • Preheat oven to your lowest setting
  • Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl
  • Spread evenly over a baking tray
  • Cook for about 20mins or until your perfect shade of golden. Turn the granola every few minutes so it all gets nice and crisp.
  • Allow to cool before putting into an air tight container
I keep a spoon in the container and if I don't get a chance to have breakfast - or lunch I grab a few spoonfuls to keep me going.

What's your favourite healthy quick fix?


No comments:

Post a Comment